Jenison, MI Lawn Care Alert
Summer Watering Tips
With the weather the local Jenison, MI area has been experiencing, your lawn may be looking (and feeling) rather dry. If this is the case for your yard, please water it immediately regardless of time of day
(doing your best to avoid watering after 7 p.m.).
IF YOUR LAWN IS TOO DRY, IT MAY INTERFERE WITH APPLYING YOUR SCHEDULED WEED MAN SERVICES!
*An easy way to water hills is to use a soaker hose with the water holes turned down towards the ground. Flood the hill, until puddles appear at the bottom. Feel free to contact us for additional watering recommendations, or click here
The images below show the difference between a watered lawn and a dormant one.
- Dormancy is one of the mechanisms nature has developed to help plants survive stressful conditions.
- Summer dormancy occurs in a lawn when grasses are exposed to an extended period of heat and lack of moisture during mid-summer. This severe stress may cause a lawn to temporarily stop growing.
- Though not recommended, allowing a lawn to go severely dormant during extended drought periods may cause portions of the lawn to die and not recover.
- When a lawn becomes dormant, leaves and stems of grass plants usually turn brown, as crowns and buds stop growing.
- A dormant lawn appears to be dead or dying.
- When the weather changes, and cooler temperatures and adequate moisture returns, grasses normally will begin to grow again and with proper care, the lawn will return to a healthy state unless you have an elongated period of heat and drought where some plants may have died.
The following practices will help to ensure summer dormancy does not occur:
- Avoid drought stress during hot, dry periods by watering in the morning.
- Thorough, infrequent watering promotes the growth of a deep, healthy root system that is better able to survive drought and heat stress (some customers are having to double the duration of watering periods).
- Raise mowing height to 2.5-3" (6.5 - 7.5cm)
- Promoting a healthy lawn throughout the year will enable turf to better overcome stressful periods, which can induce summer dormancy.
Contact your Weed Man Jenison, MI team for more information at (616) 777-1010.