DIY Mother's Day Flower Arrangements
Impress Mom with These Bouquets
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about what to get mom this year. While you may be tempted to leave your gift-buying to the last minute, Weed Man recommends creating a plan to help you stay ahead of the curve. Shops get swamped at this time of year, and a day-of purchase may leave you (and mom) disappointed.
Planning ahead will also allow you to personalize your gift to suit your mom’s taste and your budget. Instead of purchasing an elaborate, pre-made bouquet from the local florist, why not create your own? You’ll be able to dictate the type and color of flowers used, not to mention crucial elements related to design and presentation. Here are a few tips to get you started!
Picking Your Flowers
The first step in creating a do-it-yourself bouquet is picking your flowers. Keep in mind that every flower carries a different meaning, so be sure to choose wisely. Some of the most popular Mother’s Day blossoms include:
- Roses. Elegant, vibrant, and classic – you simply can’t go wrong with roses! These Mother’s Day favorites look terrific on their own or in a mixed bouquet. Consider blending colors for a bit of pizzazz. Yellow roses symbolize friendship and joy, while pink roses represent elegance and grace. Both are terrific choices for your Mother’s Day bouquet.
- Peonies. If you want a real show stopper, then look no further than peonies. Embodying happiness and prosperity, these colorful flowers bloom largely and dramatically, making a beautiful statement in any bouquet.
- Tulips. Tulips symbolize spring and rebirth, making them a popular go-to for Mother’s Day bouquets. Again, a mix of colors can make a more impressive statement than a solid bouquet.
- Carnations. Pink and white carnations are a simple yet stunning addition to any bouquet. They also symbolize admiration – perfect for mom!
- Lilies. Although lilies are traditionally associated with Easter, adding one to your Mother’s Day ensemble can enhance the look of your bouquet in a major way.
The next important component to consider for your DIY Mother’s Day project is design. Weed Man suggests going with a cluster design, which requires a very full arrangement secured tightly at the stems. This effect creates a flower “cluster” at the top of the bouquet.
Another technique that many florists use is segmentation. Segmented bouquets feature several different flowers separated by type and/or color, rather than placed sporadically within the arrangement.
And, last but not least, presentation. While your bouquet presentation possibilities are truly endless, here are a few of the most popular suggestions:
- Vase. Gifting flowers in a glass vase provides your mom with an additional keepsake. Both tall and short vase models are available, so you’ll be able to completely customize the look and feel of your bouquet.
- Craft Paper. For an eye-catching vintage look, consider wrapping your flowers in brown craft paper tied with string. Beautiful and classic!
- Cellophane. Cellophane is easy to use and looks great. Complete the look with a bright ribbon around the middle of your packaging.
No matter which flowers or design you choose, a handcrafted floral arrangement is a meaningful gift that is sure to impress your mom this year.
Brought to you by Weed Man Lawn Care: we care for your lawn.